Empowerment Through Competition

February 7, 2018

marketing communications specialistCollege of Nursing senior Namy Herr knows a thing or two about the Roseman University Core Value of empowerment. Having competed and finished first in the Miss Silver State pageant held in December 2017, she advanced to the Miss Nevada USA pageant where she was awarded Best in Evening Gown among more than twenty contestants. The event is a part of the Miss USA and Miss Universe systems and for many contestants, competing provides an opportunity to gain important life skills such as communication, self-confidence and networking.

For Herr, competing in pageants also provides an opportunity to give back to her community. She is committed to showing her gratitude and impacting her community in positive way. “I competed in Miss Silver State as a way to give back to the Las Vegas Community for all it has given to me,” she explains “I hope to use it as a platform to help promote the causes and issues I care about.”

Success seems to be second nature for the Nursing National Honor Society member. She maintains a 4.0 GPA and is active with multiple local and national non-profit organizations. Herr credits a portion of her success to her outstanding support system both at Roseman University and at home. “It was a special experience to have my RUHS peers support me by attending my last pageant,” she said. “I see this experience as a great chance for self-improvement, community service and perhaps most importantly, self-empowerment,” she continued.marketing communications specialist

And she’s not alone. It is estimated that 2.5 million young women compete in beauty pageants every year. Contestants maintain that pageants are life-changing experiences that help them achieve academic and professional success. Amid a newfound focus on civic duty, the modern pageant has been recast as an avenue of empowerment for young women. Congratulations Namy, on your recent success in pageantry and also for you upcoming graduation on February 24. Your Roseman University family looks forward to seeing you make your mark on your profession.

*Do you want to share something with the university that makes you feel proud? Please contact Joslyn Hatfield, Marketing Communications Specialist jhatfield@roseman.edu to be considered for a future Student Profile.

Author
Joslyn Hatfield
Marketing Communications Specialist
Roseman University of Health Sciences

marketing communications specialist marketing communications specialist marketing communications specialist marketing communications specialist