Spotlights – New South Jordan Deans

Erik Jorvig
College of Pharmacy South Jordan Campus Dean

Dr. Erik Jorvig received his Bachelor of Science degree in chemical engineering in 1996 and his Master of Science degree in materials engineering and science in 1999 from the South Dakota School of Mines and Technology. He then received a PhD in medicinal chemistry from the University of Minnesota in 2004. He has conducted laboratory research in organic synthesis and medicinal chemistry. Additionally, he has teaching experience in the areas of organic chemistry, biochemistry, and medicinal chemistry. Dr. Jorvig has been a member of the faculty at Roseman University of Health Sciences College of Pharmacy since August 2004. Starting in 2009, he worked in the Office of Academic Affairs for nine years. This year, Dr. Jorvig was promoted to College of Pharmacy Campus Dean for the South Jordan Campus. He has been with the University for 14 years – ten at the Henderson, NV Campus and four at the South Jordan, UT Campus.

Why did you choose pharmacy?

I am one of the few pharmacy faculty that does not have a pharmacy degree. My degree is a PhD in medicinal chemistry which is often under the auspices of colleges of pharmacy and was structured like that at the University of Minnesota where I graduated. That is how I had my first exposure to pharmacy.

What made you want to teach pharmacy students and get into academia?

I have always wanted to teach. I like the process of helping others grasp difficult concepts and learn material. I feel it is very rewarding to help students achieve their goals.

What do you like to do for fun/ hobbies?

My favorite hobby is travel. I’ve been lucky enough to have visited 26 different countries. Some of my best experiences were horseback riding in a snowstorm in Iceland, a walking safari in South Africa and attending the Christmas market opening ceremony in Nuremburg. My wife and I also like to get outdoors and hike a lot. We’ve had a lot of fun in the national parks around Utah.

What advice would you give to future pharmacy students and advice to your current students that will be pharmacists soon?

Pharmacy is a small world, but is very diverse. Keep an open mind and you can find amazing opportunities available to you. Although most students see community and hospital pharmacy, there are many other specialties available. Pursue your dreams, but keep your eyes open for those unique opportunities as well.

What is your goal/ vision while at Roseman?

My vision for the South Jordan Campus College of Pharmacy is to make it a top-tier center of pharmacy education that draws a diverse group of quality pharmacy students and is able to assist those students in becoming pharmacy graduates who are prepared to achieve all their career goals and help the profession of pharmacy progress into the future.

Man Hung
College of Dental Medicine Associate Dean for Research

Dr. Man Hung received a Bachelor of Science degree in biology and a Bachelor of Arts degree in chemistry from San Francisco State University. From the University of Utah, she then received a Master of Science degree in information technology, science and math education, a Doctor of Philosophy degree in psychometrics, research and statistical methods, Master of Science degree in statistics, graduate certificate in digital security and forensics, systems and software architecture and a Master in Science degree in data science, information systems and business management. In 2017, Dr. Hung received the Mary Lou Fulton Research Mentor Award from Brigham Young University, the Empirical Research Award from Rocky Mountain Psychological Association Mentored Research Competition, the Psi Chi Diversity Research Award from the 2017 Rocky Mountain Psychological Association Annual Convention, and second place in the PROMIS in Action: Clinical Research Implementations and Implications Poster Presentation at the PHO 2017 Conference. Dr. Hung, in addition to her role at Roseman University College of Dental Medicine, also is the Chair for the PROMIS Health Organization, Representatives and Communications Committee, Adjunct Faculty at University of Utah and Towson University, Web Developer for the Utah Chinese Community Center and Board of Directors for the Faculty Club at University of Utah, to name a few additional roles.

Why did you choose research?

I chose research because of these reasons and beyond:

• To contribute to scientific knowledge and discovery.
  • To invent new drugs, products and devices.
  • To improve new treatment methods for diseases and disorders.
  • To enhance our quality of life.
  • To guide our thinking and stimulate ideas and possibilities.
  • To inform policies and actions.
  • To identify successes and failures.
  • To understand the world and human behaviors.

What made you want to get into academia and research?

There are many reasons. Here are some of them:

• It gives me control over my professional development.
  • I can contribute to scientific advances and discoveries.
  • I have the freedom of thinking, writing, expressing and making connections across fields.
  • I can do creative work.
  • I am not confined into the traditional styles, hours and locations of work.
  • I can nurture and cultivate the next generation of youth and scholars and make substantial contributions to humanity.

I like fishing, gardening, cooking, singing, playing chess, playing basketball and badminton, watching football and basketball games, socializing with friends and families, traveling and exploring the world.

What advice would you give to future research students & advice to your current research students/faculty?

• Doing research is not easy. It takes time, energy, resources, grit, self-discipline, creativity, curiosity and luck at times, but the results can be very rewarding.
  • Don’t be afraid of failure. Keep trying and keep experimenting. This is how we grow, how we learn, how we move forward, how we innovate and how we make a difference and leave a legacy for this world.
  • In times of difficulty, take a break to enjoy your life and then come back again. Don’t give up. Stay calm. Believe in yourself.
  • Be kind to everyone and be appreciative. We all have our strengths and weaknesses. We can help each other to achieve our goals. We can contribute to our communities to make this world a better place.

Roseman is a community filled with individuals who have impressive collegiality, talents and drive for success. Roseman offers me opportunities to work with exceptional leaders and to develop agile and forward-thinking strategies to advance scientific research and educational endeavors. For these reasons and many more I have decided to join Roseman. I look forward to the exciting years ahead!

In my new role as the Associate Dean for Research in the College of Dental Medicine at Roseman University, I will be responsible for oversight of the College’s research activities as well as the development and realization of a scientific research strategic plan. My goals while at Roseman include setting up a solid research infrastructure for the College and working toward increasing the College’s visibility and status across the nation and around the world.

Dr. Man Hung will be holding meetings with faculty and students in the College of Dental Medicine to discuss her role and expectations, modes of collaboration, rules, policies and set the context for future research work at the College.

Geralyn Crain
College of Dental Medicine Assistant Dean – Innovative Faculty Development & Interprofessional Collaboration

Dr. Geralyn Crain received her Bachelor of Science degree in physiology from University of California, San Diego. She then received her Doctor of Dental Surgery degree from University of Washington School of Dentistry followed by an Interdisciplinary Doctor of Philosophy degree from University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Dentistry. Dr. Crain has held the positions of Assistant Dean for Educational Support and Faculty Development and Interim Assistant Vice Chancellor for Interprofessional Collaboration at East Carolina University. In 2017 Dr. Crain, at the American Dental Education Commission on Change and Innovation Summer Liaisons Conference, designed five workshops during the conference on organization development and change management. She presented three of the sessions and trained members of the planning committee to present the other two sessions. Dr. Crain is a member of the American Dental Education Association Commission on Change and Innovation Summer Liaisons Conference Planning Committee, a member of the American Interprofessional Health Collaborative, and a member of the American Dental Education Association.

Why did you choose Innovative Faculty Development & Interprofessional Collaboration?

The opportunity to be a part of an effort that helps the faculty, students and the school lead the nation in innovative dental education is what attracted me most to Roseman College of Dental Medicine and the position. My current position combines two of my greatest passions: working with faculty to improve student learning and develop in their own careers, and working with colleagues across the professions. Interprofessional practice is becoming the norm in some healthcare settings as the way to improve health of individuals and populations, and to reduce healthcare costs. Now, all health professions educational programs have accreditation standards for interprofessional education. I look forward to working with my colleagues across the Roseman colleges to develop educational and patient care opportunities in order to produce graduates who are practice-ready and who can deliver collaborative team-based care.

What made you want to get into academia/ faculty training?

I fell into academia after a career altering injury ended my dental practice. I fell in love with education and ended up going back to school—mid-career—and earned my PhD related to organizational development and change in dental education. It is so exciting to work with the faculty to grow and develop in ways that achieve personal success and success of the organization. The College of Dental Medicine faculty are great and I truly believe that we are positioned to be leaders in our field under the superb guidance and vision of Dean Licari.

I began as a music major (piano) until I decided to pursue dentistry as a career, but I still enjoy playing, although much less formally than before. I also enjoy hiking, biking, photography and taking dance classes/working out at the gym, but I must admit: keeping up with my 11-yr old son is my favorite hobby and doesn’t leave much time for anything else.

Dr. Crain is the daughter of two Holocaust survivors whom have been honored to share their stories at numerous teacher workshops, schools, churches, book clubs and other settings. The lessons learned from the Holocaust are relevant today and Dr. Crain is inspired by the younger generations who are dedicated to making this world a better place.

Author
Rachael Thomas, MBA
Marketing Director
Roseman University of Health Sciences