Library Assistant Part-Time
Unit: Library Services
Date Posted: February 23, 2018
Roseman University of Health Sciences, a private non-profit institution, seeks a responsible, self-motivated, and detail-orientated individual as a part-time Library Assistant for the Henderson, Nevada Campus. Routine duties include, but are not limited to, performing circulation activities via an online system, assisting students with locating resources, assisting with computer use, shelving library materials, maintaining supplies, and following standardized procedures to oversee the library by his/herself for one hour (with security presence). Successful candidate must have demonstrated ability to provide excellent customer service, working knowledge of Microsoft products and general office equipment, and ability to work independently with minimal supervision. Scheduled work hours include 11 AM – 3 PM every Saturday, plus Tuesday and Wednesday either 4 PM – 8 PM or 10 AM – 2 PM (negotiable). Dependability to keep to the set schedule on a daily basis is essential. Position is open until filled.
No phone calls please.
Duties and Responsibilities (Essential Functions)
• Circulate materials by charging and discharging items via the Koha integrated library system.
• Assist users in locating resources via online tools.
• Compile statistics, including door counts; may prepare reports as needed.
• Assist patrons in the use of computers, copiers and printers.
• Ensure that copiers and printers have supplies and are in good working order.
• Shelve materials and conduct regular shelf reading.
• Perform opening or closing duties as scheduled.
• Maintain supplies; collect and distribute library mail.
• Monitor the library to ensure a safe and secure environment for the patrons and staff.
• Assist with the annual inventory of the collection.
• Inspect returned books and materials for damages; may make minor repairs to damaged items.
• Assists with creating signage and displays.
• Undertake special projects as assigned.
• May process, track and shelve the library’s print journals.
• May unpack shipments; may process new materials before or after cataloging.
• May assist with maintaining the lease book collection and/or reserve collection.
• May be required to perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Individual must possess the knowledge and following skills and abilities or be able to perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of skills and abilities:
• Working knowledge of Microsoft products and general office equipment.
• Demonstrated ability to provide excellent customer service and public relations outreach.
• Ability to follow written and verbal instructions.
• Dependability to keep to a set schedule on a regular basis
• Demonstrated ability to excel both independently and as a team member in a lively, collaborative environment.
• This position requires a high school diploma or equivalent.
• Preferred experience includes knowledge of general office practices and procedures or previous library experience.
• Regular attendance is an essential function of the job.
• Work is primarily indoors, but requires the incumbent to be in an outdoor environment when traveling between local campus buildings, off campus, and to other Roseman University facilities out-of-state.
• Performing duties and attending events outside the normally scheduled work hours occasionally occurs and is required.
• Traveling off-campus to a local, state, regional and/or national event, as well as travel to other Roseman campuses or facilities occurs occasionally and is required.
• Incumbent may be exposed to frequent noise caused by telephones, office machines, and nearby oral communications among University personnel and/or students.
• Incumbent may be regularly scheduled to evening and/or weekend work hours. Accepting a temporary change in the assigned work hours with little advance notice in order to accommodate daily staffing needs in the library will be required.
Required Physical Abilities
• Ability to bend, stoop, reach, stand, move from one area of the building to another on a regular basis, sit and use a computer for a long period of time.
• Manual and physical dexterity needed to operate a computer keyboard and handle paper documents.
• Sufficient near vision acuity to read information appearing on computer display screen, hand-written forms, and printed on paper.
• Adequate hearing and verbal abilities to communicate effectively in person and by telephone.
• Ability to lift and carry a stack of forms and documents weighing up to 25 pounds.
• Capable of pushing loaded book carts.
To apply for this position, please submit resume and cover letter to
Roseman University provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. Roseman University complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, and transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Roseman University expressly prohibits any form of unlawful employee harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Roseman University employees to perform their expected job duties is absolutely not tolerated.