Official versus Unofficial Transcripts

Official transcripts are $5 each, printed on copy safe paper with an explanation of Roseman grading process on the front and bears the signature of the registrar.

Unofficial transcripts are free of charge, printed on plain paper, has the grading process on the front and do not bear the signature of the registrar.

The transcript (official and unofficial) will list all completed courses throughout the enrollment at Roseman. Transcripts are not automatically sent to the State Board. The student must request for a transcript to be sent to the State Board of their choice and note the name and complete address on the Transcript Request form.

BSN Henderson:
Dr. Oxhorn (or CON designee) will complete affidavits and send to the State Board.

BSN South Jordan:
Dr. Watson will complete affidavits and send to DOPL.

DMD South Jordan:
Dr. Licari (or his designee) will sign affidavits and submit to DOPL with your anticipated graduation dates.

COP Henderson:
Dr. Zarley sends internship hours to the Nevada State Board in June.

COP South Jordan:
Dr. Johanson will complete the DOPL form which will require signatures from Drs. Fannin and Johanson.  Dr. Fannin will then give the signed form back to the student to mail with their application or will mail on their behalf.

AEODO/MBA Henderson:
Dr. Pourhamidi will complete a ‘Certification of Specialty Program Completion’ and submit to the Nevada Sate Board.

If the student is applying to another state, it is student’s responsibility to have the NV or UT State Boards to transfer the hours.

Affidavits do not replace transcripts.  Student must still request for one to be sent to the State Board.

Transcript Request Form

The form is located at

The form is interactive so the student can type all of their information on the form EXCEPT THE SIGNATURE.  If the student has more than two addresses the student will need to type those on a separate sheet of paper to submit with their form-feel free to place them in the body of an email and send to

The Credit Card authorization form is also located on the same webpage for payment for each official transcript.

No forms will be processed without a signature and payment.  If the student has any holds on their record, we will be unable to process the request until the hold is cleared. 

The form must be filled out completely as incomplete forms will delay processing.   Please include the Roseman email and student ID number (not social security numbers).  Also, indicate the name and address of each agency on the form. The back of the form may be used to list additional addresses.

Unofficial transcripts may be faxed as long as it is requested on the form. No transcripts will be emailed or shipped priority.

A list of addresses for Nursing, Dental and Pharmacy State Boards and website links are posted on the Graduation webpage.  These addresses are subject to change without notice so check with the State Board(s) to confirm for accuracy.

Paying for Official Transcripts

The student can see/call the Bursar to pay for the official transcript(s) and then submit/fax the form to our office:

Henderson–Room #1132  OR  Fax:  (702) 968-1643

South Jordan—Room #1145 OR  Fax:  (801) 878-1340

The student will need to obtain and complete a credit card authorization form from the Bursar’s Office.  The form is campus specific.  The Bursar’s Office will notify the Registrar’s Office once payment has been made.

Processing time for Transcript Request Form

No degrees will be processed prior to the week of June 8th.   We understand the urgency in getting the documents to the respective agencies in a timely manner and every effort will be made to get them processed and mailed ASAP.

Any requests received/needed prior to the June 8th will be processed as an Enrollment Verification letter.  This letter may be requested by completion of the form at this letter will contain the student’s anticipated enrollment and graduation dates, but will not confirm graduation.

Since we process requests on a first-come first-serve basis, it is recommended to complete the Transcript Request Form prior to the June 4th and submit to our office.  Make sure to mark ‘Process after degree is posted’ option.

If the student has a “hold” on his/her record, we will be unable to process the request until the hold is cleared.  Please make sure to take care of any holds prior to the June 8th to prevent delays in processing.

How will I know my request was processed?

We will send an email confirmation to the Roseman email address as soon as we have processed the student’s request (either ready to be picked up AND/OR have been placed in the mail to the recipient(s) listed on the form).

NOTE:  If we receive an Enrollment/Graduation Verification and/or Transcript Request forms and the form does not have current address information on file, we will notify the student immediately via the Roseman email to complete a Student/Alumni Contact Update Form prior to processing the request.  The student may find the form online via the Registrar/Student Services webpage or in the Student Copy Center.

How long does it take for the State Board(s) to receive my transcript(s)?

Once the transcripts are mailed, it can take 1-4 weeks for them to arrive at the designated location. We do not track transcripts, therefore, once the student receives an email confirmation from our office; please allow 1-4 weeks for the State Board to receive them.

The time each Board takes to process transcripts will vary. If it has been 4 weeks and the State Board(s) or agency has not received the transcript, please send an email to to inform our office. We will guide you on the next steps.

If the State Board requires confirmation of specific courses in addition to a transcript

The confirmation of specific courses must be completed by the Dean of the student’s program.

If the State Board requires for transcripts from prior universities attended our office cannot provide copies.

Name and Address Changes

If the student’s name and/or address changes after the graduation ceremony please complete a Student/Alumni Contact Update form which may be accessed from the Registrar/Student Services website so we may always keep updated records for our alumni!

If the student’s name changes after the June 8th we cannot re-issue another diploma. Diplomas are only printed with the legal name on file at the time of degree completion.

If I intend to participate in the graduation ceremony where do I obtain my regalia?

All students participating in the graduation ceremony should reference the Graduation webpage for campus specific information.