Research & Learning Librarian
Date Posted: May 24, 2019
Under general direction of the Director of Library Services, this position works closely with librarians and faculty to provide instruction, reference, and research support for the disciplines served by the university.
A career with Roseman University of Health Sciences will give you the opportunity to work with incredible people—among them, world-renowned researchers, thought leaders, innovators, and problem solvers. Here, we are committed to educating leaders and advancing research that makes a difference in the world, in fields as varied as: medicine, nursing, dental, pharmacy and business.
Roseman University of Health Sciences offers competitive compensation, health care, unmatched paid time off and an unbeatable package of perks.
Duties and Responsibilities (Essential Functions)
- Plan and present in-person and online library instruction sessions
- Provide research and citation assistance to students and faculty; consult with faculty for in-depth literature searches and systematic reviews as requested
- Develop productive relationships with faculty in the academic programs; promote integration of library resources into curricula and research projects
- Assess and coordinate campus online and in-person reference activities; provide training for library staff as needed
- Create and maintain point-of-need materials and online guides
- Assist with service desk coverage; may include occasional weekday evening or Saturday hours
- Participate in collection development activities and coordinated initiatives to improve access to library resources and services
- Maintain knowledge of academic health science librarianship and related fields through reading professional literature and attending funded professional development activities and continuing education opportunities (such as the Academy of Health Information Professionals)
- Participate in campus and university committees, services and activities as requested
- Serve as the person in charge when the most senior library staff member on campus
- Regular attendance is an essential function of the job
- Must be reliable and timely with the expectation of 40+hours per week on-site
- May be required to perform other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Individual must possess the knowledge and following skills and abilities or be able to perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of skills and abilities:
- Demonstrated enthusiasm for educating students with diverse backgrounds
- Ability to work collaboratively with faculty and library co-workers as a member of the team
- Demonstrated excellent presentation and communication skills
- Demonstrated flexibility and ability to effectively manage multiple priorities
- Knowledge of current library systems, technologies (e.g., MSOffice, LibGuides, EndNote), and online searching techniques
- General understanding of scholarly communication, copyright, and information literacy
- Master’s degree in Library Science or Library & Information Science from an American Library Association-accredited program within six months after start date
- Library reference experience or documented relevant course work
- Instruction or group presentation experience preferred
- Academic library work experience preferred (includes paraprofessional level work)
- Familiarity with health science resources or terminology preferred
- Work is primarily indoors, but requires the incumbent to be in an outdoor environment when traveling between local campus buildings, off campus, and to other Roseman University facilities out-of-state.
- Performing duties and attending events outside the normally scheduled work hours occasionally occurs and is required.
- Traveling off-campus to a local, state, regional and/or national event, as well as travel to other Roseman campuses or facilities occurs occasionally and is required.
- Incumbent may be exposed to frequent noise caused by telephones, office machines, and nearby oral communications among University personnel and/or students.
- Incumbent may be regularly scheduled to evening and/or weekend work hours. Accepting a temporary change in the assigned work hours with little advance notice in order to accommodate daily staffing needs in the library will be required.
Required Physical Abilities
- Ability to bend, stoop, reach, stand, move from one area of the building to another on a regular basis, sit and use a computer for a long period of time.
- Manual and physical dexterity needed to operate a computer keyboard and handle paper documents.
- Sufficient near vision acuity to read information appearing on computer display screen, hand-written forms, and printed on paper.
- Adequate hearing and verbal abilities to communicate effectively in person and by telephone.
- Ability to lift and carry a stack of forms and documents weighing up to 25 pounds.
To apply for this position, please submit application, CV/resume and cover letter to the email below;
*Please indicate the position you are applying for in the subject line of your email.
**Online application has a click to submit button on the last page.
Roseman University provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. Roseman University complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, and transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Roseman University expressly prohibits any form of unlawful employee harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Roseman University employees to perform their expected job duties is absolutely not tolerated.