Assistant Director of Library Services
Date Posted: December 12, 2018
The Assistant Director of Library Services manages the staff and daily activities of the University Library at Roseman University of Health Sciences, South Jordan Campus, and assists in administration of library services university-wide.
Duties and Responsibilities (Essential Functions)
• Supervise South Jordan campus library staff and oversee provision of campus library services, maintaining consistency of practice with the Henderson campus.
• Provide professional reference service and faculty research support, as well as information literacy instruction and staff training/development activities.
• Keep the Director informed of campus issues and activities, including providing weekly written reports.
• Serve as an ambassador of the University Library to the South Jordan Campus, coordinating library events with the Chancellor’s office and interacting with campus faculty in support of academic program needs; serve on the South Jordan Chancellor’s Campus Leadership Team.
• Collaborate with the Director on establishing procedures and managing the Library Services unit.
• Schedule and assist with service desk coverage, filling in when staff are out; may include occasional weekday evening or Saturday hours.
• Participate in collection development activities and coordinated initiatives to improve access to library resources and services.
• Provide statistics, reports, and other assessments of library services as requested.
• Assist with designated Director-level tasks when the Director is unavailable.
• Maintain knowledge of academic health science librarianship and related fields through reading professional literature and attending funded professional development activities and continuing education opportunities (such as the Academy of Health Information Professionals).
• Participate in campus and university committees, services and activities as requested.
• Regular attendance is an essential function of the job.
• Must be reliable and timely with the expectation of 40+ hours per week on site.
• May be required to perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Individual must possess the knowledge and following skills and abilities or be able to perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of skills and abilities:
• Demonstrated ability to successfully manage full- and part-time employees, including hiring, training, scheduling, and performance evaluation.
• Ability to work cooperatively and collaboratively with others as a member of the team.
• Evidence of flexibility, effective problem-solving, good organization, and objective judgment.
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both verbal and written, with demonstrated ability to explain desired project outcomes and provide constructive feedback.
• Knowledge of and experience with information literacy outcomes.
• Familiarity with providing support for scholarly activity.
• Track record of providing excellent customer service and public relations outreach.
• Demonstrated ability to effectively implement and uphold policies and procedures.
• Master’s degree in Library Science or Library & Information Science from an American Library Association-accredited program
• Minimum five (5) years professional-level academic library experience; must include a minimum two (2) years direct supervisory experience.
• Experience providing library instruction and reference/research support.
• Preferred: Seven (7) years professional-level academic experience with three (3) years supervisory experience; experience in a higher education health science library.
• Work is primarily indoors, but requires the incumbent to be in an outdoor environment when traveling between local campus buildings, off campus, and to other Roseman University facilities out-of-state.
• Performing duties and attending events outside the normally scheduled work hours occasionally occurs and is required.
• Traveling off-campus to a local, state, regional and/or national event, as well as travel to other Roseman campuses or facilities occurs occasionally and is required.
• Incumbent may be exposed to frequent noise caused by telephones, office machines, and nearby oral communications among University personnel and/or students.
• Incumbent may be regularly scheduled to evening and/or weekend work hours. Accepting a temporary change in the assigned work hours with little advance notice in order to accommodate daily staffing needs in the library will be required.
Required Physical Abilities
• Ability to bend, stoop, reach, stand, move from one area of the building to another on a regular basis, sit and use a computer for a long period of time.
• Manual and physical dexterity needed to operate a computer keyboard and handle paper documents.
• Sufficient near vision acuity to read information appearing on computer display screen, hand-written forms, and printed on paper.
• Adequate hearing and verbal abilities to communicate effectively in person and by telephone.
• Ability to lift and carry a stack of forms and documents weighing up to 25 pounds.
To apply for this position, please submit application, CV/resume and cover letter to the email below;
*Please indicate the position you are applying for in the subject line of your email.
**Online application has a click to submit button on the last page.
Roseman University provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. Roseman University complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, and transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Roseman University expressly prohibits any form of unlawful employee harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Roseman University employees to perform their expected job duties is absolutely not tolerated.