What is Federal Work-Study?

The Federal Work-Study (FWS) Program is a government subsidized student employment program designed to assist students in financing their post-secondary education. In order to be eligible for Work-Study, students must document financial need every year by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

What types of jobs are available?

The On-Campus Work-Study jobs are as diverse as the personnel needs of the University. Clerical assistants, library assistants, and laboratory research assistants are but a few examples. Off-campus positions with employers/agencies approved to participate in the Federal Work-Study Program offer further variety. These positions are available through non-profit organizations and are usually in areas of community service. Off-campus positions may include health fairs, research assistants, and tutors.

Will my Work-Study funds be applied to my tuition?

No. Work-Study awards are not automatically applied towards a student’s tuition bill.   An award simply authorizes a student to participate in the program and sets a limit as to the amount of income a student can earn during the academic year. It is the responsibility of the student to work enough hours to reach the earnings limit and to budget the money wisely throughout the year to meet necessary college costs.

How will I be paid?

All work-study students are paid bi-weekly.  Paychecks will be released for hours worked the preceding two weeks on the subsequent Fridays.  The Bursar’s office will notify students when checks are available for pick-up.  Paychecks that are not picked up for 30 days will be reclaimed.

Am I eligible for benefits?

​No. Work-Study  students are not eligible for paid vacation, sick leave, holidays, or medical and dental insurance through their Work-Study job.

Can I be terminated or discharged prior to the end of the employment period?

​Yes.  Your employer may find it necessary to discharge you prior to the end of your employment period.  The reason for the separation includes:

  • Not currently enrolled
  • Withdrawal or Dismissal from the University
  • Unsatisfactory work performance
  • Approved leave of absence
  • Expiration of award
  • Change Work-Study job
  • Excessive absences
  • Voluntary

Can I carry my remaining award to the next academic year?

​No.  Any portion of your award that remains unearned at the end of the academic year (June 30th) will be forfeited and cannot be transferred to a subsequent award term.

Can I change Work-Study Jobs?

​Yes.  You must first terminate your current Work-Study position.  Your employer must complete a Termination Notice form to document your last date of employment, pay rate, and total hours paid. You may NOT begin working in your new job until your new employer completes and submits a new hire form.

May I have more than ONE Work-Study job?

​No.  This is an institutional policy.  Therefore, each student should carefully consider the amount of his/her award, the rate of pay, and the job’s work hours prior to applying for or accepting a position.

What are the advantages of Work-Study jobs?

Although a Work-Study job should be treated as any other job, it does have several distinct advantages:

  • Students have the benefit of working in an environment suited to their skills, preferences and possible career goals.
  • Students and Work-Study employers arrange a work schedule around the class schedule.
  • Work-Study wages are not counted towards next year’s student contribution for financial aid.
  • Positions are located on-campus and off-campus. Regardless of location, the ultimate advantage of a Work-Study position is that it affords students invaluable experience when preparing to enter the job market after graduation, not to mention the departmental and/or professional contacts that can be made.
  • It provides students the opportunity to reduce reliance on student loans, decreasing their overall loan indebtedness.

What are the required working hours?

​The work schedule is to be determined by the student and employer. The following guidelines apply:

  • Students should never be scheduled to work during class time.
  • Students should never work more than 8 hours in one day
  • Students should never work more than 25 hours in one week while classes are in session.
  • Students must take a 30 minute break if allowed to work a consecutive 6 hour period.
  • Students may work up to 40 hours in one week only during approved breaks when classes are not in session.

What determines the amount of Work-Study awarded?

​The amount of the Work-Study award depends on the student’s financial need and the availability of funds at the University.  The salary you receive will be based on the type of work you do and its level of difficulty.

What if I do NOT get a job?

​If students do not get Work-Study  job within the first six weeks of the start of class, their Work-Study award may be canceled for that term. Once canceled, the Work-Study awards will not be automatically reinstated. In addition, this may jeopardize the awarding of any future Work-Study. If your class schedule or other special circumstances prevent you from obtaining a Work-Study job, contact the Financial Aid Office at 702-968-1635 (Henderson Campus) or 801-878-1033 (Utah Campus) to discuss other options.

What is Community Service Work-Study?

​Community Service Work-Study is a federally-funded program that allows students to earn their Work-Study award while serving the community in such areas as education, recreation, child care, health care, and tutoring and mentoring. Community Service positions benefit the student as well as the community by increasing awareness of community needs through employment in areas that are dedicated to improving the quality of life for community residents, particularly low-income individuals, or to solve problems related to their needs.