Area of expertise
Dr. So specializes in G-protein coupled receptor kinases and their roles in human cancer and stress responses. Dr. So has authored publications on the effect of G protein coupled receptor kinases in cancer cell resistance to chemotherapeutics and their roles in various signaling pathways related to cell growth and cell death. Currently, he is overseeing projects aiming to expand the role of G protein coupled receptor kinases in cell signaling, identifying new signaling pathways these kinases are involved in. For this, he is utilizing new bioinformatic and cellular approaches as well as using the model organism, Caernorhabditis (C.) elegans.
Bachelor of Science in Toxicology and his Doctor of Philosophy in Pharmacology from the University of Toronto.
G-protein coupled receptor kinases and their roles in cell biology and drug responses.
Dr. So is a member of the American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy, American Association for Cancer Research, and the American Heart Association.
Research Fellowship, Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada
He teaches courses in gastrointestinal, cardiovascular and renal systems, and neuropharmacology.
1) J. Lagman, P. Sayegh, C.S. Lee, S.M. Sulon, A.Z. Jacinto, V. Sok, N. Peng, D. Alp, J.L Benovic and C.H. So (2019). G protein-coupled receptor kinase 5 modifies cancer cell resistance to paclitaxel. Mol Cell Biochem. 2019 Nov;461(1-2):103-118.
2) C. Heilman, J. Ibarreta, G.A. Salonga, M.C. Hon, A.M. Caracci,T. Badial, S. Crivello, S.A. Henry, T.M. Nguyen and C.H. So (2020). G protein coupled receptor kinases control reactions of Caenorhabditis elegans to heat stress. Biochem Biophys Res Comm. 2020 Oct 1;530(4):692-698.
3) S. Henry, S.Crivello, T.M. Nguyen M. Cybulska N.S. Hoang M. Nguyen T. Badial N. Emami N. Awada , J.F. Woodward and C.H.So (2021). G protein-coupled receptor kinase 2 modifies the ability of Caenorhabditis elegans to survive oxidative stress. Cell Stress and Chaperones. 2021 Jan;26(1):187-197.
4) J.C. Ammon, D. Valls, M. Eldemerdash, J.R. Patel, P.D. Tran, L. Feng, M.Gi, T.T Gonzalez, C.Phan, A.E. Zendejas and C.H.So (2021). G protein-coupled receptor kinase 2 modifies the cellular reaction to cisplatin through interactions with NADPH oxidase 4. 2021 Mar;476(3):1505-1516.
5) V. Sok, A.Z.Jacinto, N. Peng, M. Eldemerdash L. Le, P.D., L.F. Feng J.R. Patel, M. Gi, J.C. Ammon and C.H. So (2021). G protein coupled receptor kinase 5 modifies the nucleolar stress response activated by actinomycin D. Biochem Cell Bio. 2021. 2021 Aug;99(4):508-518.