I am trained in dental medicine with a board certification in the specialty of pediatric dentistry. I also completed graduate training in public health. I have 16 years of experience as a dental practitioner and have spent the last four years primarily in dental academics at Roseman College of Dental Medicine. My academic experience has included clinical and didactic teaching, scholarship, student mentorship and service to the profession. Since entering academics, I have published multiple scholarly papers in dentistry and public health and have served as principal investigator for multiple projects. I am course director for Orthodontics/Growth and Development, Vulnerable Populations and Dental Public Health courses. I direct the public health education and outreach programs for Roseman College of Dental Medicine. I am a fellow of the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry. I have certified training in MicroCT systems and software. I have actively collaborated in research studies and mentored numerous students and junior investigators.
Brigham Young University 1997 Bachelor of Science in Molecular Biology/Zoology (B.S.)
Creighton University School of Dentistry 2001 Doctor of Dental Surgery (D.D.S.)
University of Southern California 2005 Pediatric Dentistry Specialty
Brigham Young University 2020 Master of Public Health (M.P.H.)
Dental Public Health
Growth and Development
Social Determinants of Health
Microcomputerized Tomography (MicroCT)
American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry
College of Diplomates of the American Board of Pediatric Dentistry
American Association of Dental, Oral and Craniofacial Research
American Dental Education Association
Certified in Public Health (CPH) (2020)
Outstanding Student Advocate of the Year (2019)
• Awarded by the dental students at Roseman College of Dental Medicine
Research Excellence Award (2019, 2020)
• Awarded by the research community at Roseman College of Dental Medicine
Fellow of the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry (2019-present)
Diplomate of the American Board of Pediatric Dentistry (2006-present)
• Board certified pediatric dentist
Hospital Privileges at Primary Children’s Medical Center (2005-present)
Hospital Privileges at Alta View Hospital (2005-present)
Hugh Kopel Award for Outstanding Resident in Pediatric Dentistry (2005)
Dental Public Health
1. Hunt, L., Norton, A., Daines, C., Friedbaum, E., Topham, D., Moffat, R., Torres, S., Linehan, M., Jusril, H., Hall, C., Crookston, B., West, J. (2021). Factors Associated with Exposure to a National Communication Campaign to Influence Health Behaviors and Impact Stunting in Indonesia. Archives of Public Health 79:174. https://doi.org/10.1186/s13690-021-00697-y
2. Moffat, R., Sayer, A., Hawks, M., DeCook, K., Traub, M., Linehan, M., Dearden, K., Novanti Rachmi, C., West, J., Crookston, B., Hall, C. (2020). Effect of a National Nutrition Communications Campaign on Stunting Awareness and Promotion of Exclusive Breastfeeding Behavior among Rural Indonesian Mothers. Journal of Maternal and Child Health (in press).
3. Newby, Steven, Austin Bow, Shawn Bourdo, Andrew Gross, V. Joseph Cheever, Ryan Moffat, Frank Licari, Man Hung, and Madhu Dhar. (2021) “Biocompatibility and Osseointegration of a Novel 3D Printed Poly (lactic co glycolic acid) Graphene‐based Nanoscaffold in a Rat Femoral Critical Sized Segmental Defect.” The FASEB Journal 35 Issue S1.
4. Moffat, R., Yentes, C., Crookston, B., West, J. (2020). Patient Perceptions about Professional Dental Services During the COVID-19 Pandemic. Journal of Dental Research – Clinical Translational Research, 6(1), 15-23.
5. Hung, M., Hon, E. S., Ruiz-Negron, B., Lauren, E., Moffat, R., Su, W., … & Licari, F. W. (2020). Exploring the Intersection between Social Determinants of Health and Unmet Dental Care Needs Using Deep Learning. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 17(19), 7286.
6. Hung, M., Lipsky, M. S., Moffat, R., Lauren, E., Hon, E. S., Park, J., … & Prince, D. (2020). Health and dental care expenditures in the United States from 1996 to 2016. Plos one, 15(6), e0234459.
7. Hung, M., Moffat, R., Gill, G., Lauren, E., Ruiz‐Negrón, B., Rosales, M. N., … & Licari, F. W. (2019). Oral health as a gateway to overall health and well‐being: Surveillance of the geriatric population in the United States. Special Care in Dentistry, 39(4), 354-361.