The Roseman University of Health Sciences Commencement ceremony is a festive occasion. The festivity manifests itself in many ways including the dress of the students; the faculty adorned in academic regalia; and the warmth, joy and satisfaction of accomplishment.
The ceremony is marked by dignity and seriousness as the conferring of degrees signifies long, hard work on the part of everyone involved including students, faculty members, administrators, parents, spouses, and other family members. Because of this, all attending parties are expected to maintain decorum consistent with the occasion.
Rules of Decorum and Courtesy:
For All Attendees
- All rules of the graduation venue, not addressed in this document, must be followed.
- Mobile devices should be placed in “silent” mode or turned off during the entire ceremony.
- Signs, fireworks, bottles, beach balls, cans, drugs, and alcohol are strictly prohibited.
- Noisemakers, including but not limited to, air horns, trumpets, and pots and pans, are strictly prohibited.
- The proper order of procession to the stage is: students, followed by faculty members, followed by the stage party.
- The proper order of recession from the stage is: stage party, followed by students, followed by faculty members.
- For all oaths and pledges, the graduates and other appropriate individuals will read with the speaker as the speaker recites.
- Disability seating areas are for those people with disabilities as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act. These areas are not appropriate for strollers and/or large bags. One additional person may be seated in this area with the person in need of disability seating. Anyone requiring disability seating should contact the student services office of the applicable campus no later than two days prior to the ceremony so the appropriate number of spaces are reserved.
- Graduates must arrive at least 45 minutes prior to the scheduled start of the ceremony.
- Graduates are expected to refrain from disruptive behavior.
- The graduation tassel is initially placed on the right hand side of the cap and moved to the left hand side when the graduate is instructed to move it.
- The only items permitted as a part of the graduation regalia are those issued by Roseman University of Health Sciences. No adornments to the graduation regalia are permitted. Examples of adornments include, but are not limited to, tape or writing on caps, leis or other necklaces worn outside the robe, and corsages and boutonnieres.
- Graduates should not carry any items with them in their hands as they process to their seats.
- Graduates are expected to wear appropriate clothing beneath the regalia. Business casual attire, at a minimum, is expected.
- Graduates are expected to return to their seats after the on-stage presentation and remain seated for the duration of the ceremony.
- Graduates will not be permitted to carry children or pets to the stage with them.
For PharmD/MBA Graduates
- Candidates graduating with a combined PharmD/MBA can only wear one hood at a time.
- PharmD/MBA graduates will process-in wearing the MBA hood, the same as other MBA graduates.
- You will continue to wear the MBA hood as you walk across the stage for the MBA degree and return to your seat.
- Once at your seat, take off the MBA hood, fold it and leave it on your seat as you proceed to the stage for the PharmD degree and PharmD hooding.
- You will continue to wear the PharmD hood during the rest of commencement. At the end of commencement, please drape the MBA hood over your arm and process-out wearing the PharmD hood.
- Faculty members must arrive at least 30 minutes prior to the scheduled start of the ceremony.
- Faculty members are expected to refrain from disruptive behavior.
- The graduation tassel is initially placed on the left hand side of the cap and is not moved.
- Faculty members are required to remain dressed in the full graduation regalia for the duration of the ceremony.
For Family Members and Guests
- Family members and/or guests are expected to refrain from disruptive behavior.
- Family members and/or guests are not permitted on the stage for any reason and are not permitted to participate in the ceremony.
- Family members and/or guests may only take pictures during the ceremony at designated areas.