8th Annual Research Symposium Showcases Roseman University Research
On Wednesday, March 30, crowds gathered on the Henderson and South Jordan campuses for the 8th Annual Roseman University Research Symposium where students, residents and faculty presented their research projects. The event, sponsored by Zions Bank, also featured projects by researchers at organizations such as MountainView Hospital, Noorda College of Osteopathic Medicine, and Brigham Young University.
Serving as keynote speaker for both campus events was Annette Fleckenstein, MS, PhD, Professor and Associate Dean for Basic Science Integration and for Faculty Development, School of Dentistry and Professor, Interdepartmental Program in Neuroscience at University of Utah. Fleckenstein presented “Psychostimulant-induced Alterations in Monoaminergic Transporters: Implications for Neurotoxicity and Neuroprotection,” which focused on certain drugs that can alter neurotransmitters that control a number of physiological, emotional, and behavioral functions. It also highlighted the potential associations among attention deficit disorder (ADHD), Parkinson’s disease, psychostimulants as well as the importance of comprehensive dental care in the treatment of substance abuse and mental health disorders.
The Henderson campus showcased 63 research posters covering basic science, clinical, public health and the scholarship if teaching and learning, and three podium presenters. The South Jordan campus presented 59 posters as well as three podium presenters. Following judging by a panel of Roseman University faculty, awards were presented to researchers at both campuses.
- “Evaluation of Appropriate Use of Fluconazole and Micafungin at a Teaching Hospital,” presented by Jacob Leonard, PharmD, MountainView Hospital
- “Exploring Doxorubicin Effects on Mitogen-activated Protein Kinase Activity in Human Cardiomyocytes,” presented by Kristen Geary, Roseman University, College of Pharmacy
- “Emotional Intelligence Curriculum and the Impact on Dental Students,” presented by Monica Freifeld, DMD, Roseman University, AEODO/Orthodontics
- 1st place Research-In-Progress: Dr. Michael Trieu
- 2nd place Research-In-Progress: Dr. Arianne Dagdag
- 3rd place Research-In-Progress: Desiree Chong
- 1st place Student-Presented Research: Alexander Koo
- 2nd place Student-Presented Research: Kristheana Rico
- 3rd place Student-Presented Research: Jeffrey Bezard
- 1st place Resident-Presented Research: Dr. Tyler Green
- 2nd place Resident-Presented Research: Dr. Ivy Yang
- 3rd place Resident-Presented Research: Dr. Sunny Lee
South Jordan Campus
- “Appearance of Reactive Hypoglycemia in otherwise Healthy Patients with Treatment-Resistant Migraine,” presented by Wyatt Magoffin, Noorda College of Osteopathic Medicine
- “Monitoring Water Fluoride in America’s Community Water Systems,” presented by Jody Chiang, Roseman University, College of Dental Medicine
- “Identification of Inhibitors of GSK-3 Beta from Natural Products,” presented by Vincent Anella, Roseman University, College of Pharmacy
- 1st place Research-In-Progress: Nomikos Klonaris
- 2nd place Research-In-Progress: Edward Yeates
- 3rd place Research-In-Progress: Amani Sastry
- 1st place Student-Presented Research: Rachel Morris
- 2nd place Student-Presented Research: Carlos Moreno
- 3rd place Student-Presented Research: Parker Gundersen
Additional information about these and all projects featured at this year’s event can be found at https://research.roseman.edu/symposium/.