On September 10, 2019, Dr. Dustin Christensen-Grant of the Roseman College of Pharmacy gave an excellent presentation on practical ways faculty can improve their use of the many features of the Canvas learning management system. A video of his presentation has been posted here and some specific topics and highlights are noted below.
- 4:13 Using Discussions
- 14:25 Deleting items from course navigation
- 15:27 Using My Mediasite
- 23:31 Using the Chat feature
- 22:40 Incorporating Google Drive
- 24:36 Using Collaborations
- 30:16 Using Conferences
- 31:06 Quizzes
- 38:27 Using Canvas Commons
- 44:53 Finding People and making Group Sets
- 46:55 Using Attendance
- 48:34 Using Files
- 50:50 Announcements and Notification settings
- 54:50 Creating Assignments
- 57:23 Settings
- 59:58 Example course setup
- 1:05:51 Creating Modules and Pages
- 1:11:43 Creating a Course Calendar and Events
Dr. Christensen-Grant also prepared a handout for those just getting started with Canvas that outlines how to create a basic course structure. This handout can be downloaded here.
If you would like to contribute to The Faculty Development Blog, please contact Tyler Rose at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tyler Rose, PhD
Associate Professor of Pharmaceutical Sciences
Roseman University of Health Sciences College of Pharmacy